Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Being afraid of the Great Mole Rat, and other phobias

Today I've decided to write a random list of phobias. I slimmed down my list so as only to pick the funniest and most ridiculous ones. However, I am of course putting out a disclaimer and apology if you suffer from any one of these and you think I'm mocking your pain (I am).

Pupaphobia - Fear of puppets
Papaphobia - Fear of the Pope
Venustraphobia - Fear of beautiful women
Pteronophobia - Fear of being tickled by feathers
Arachibutyronophobia - Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - Fear of long words
Novercaphobia - Fear of step mother
Urophobia - Fear of urine or urinating
Oneirogmophobia - Fear of wet dreams
Hobophobia - Fear of bums or beggars
Cibophobia - Fear of food
Deciophobia - Fear of making decisions
Helmintophobia - Fear of being infested with worms
Peladophobia - Fear of bald people
Ailurophobia - Fear of cats
Ergophobia - Fear of working
Coulrophobia - Fear of clowns
Orinthophobia - Fear of birds
Erythrophobia - Fear of blushing
Tetraphobia - Fear of the number 4
Zemmiphobia - Fear of the great mole rat

My favorite is the last one, zemmiphobia. Fear of the great mole rat. Who is this mole rat? What makes him so great? And, why should I fear him? Oh, and I love the irony of the fear of long words being a ridiculously long phobia. I almost didn't believe it was legitimate. It is. Don't bother checking.

But now, imagine running into a bald bird puppet that is infested with worms with the number four on its chest urinating on you. Then, as you are convulsing with the fright of it, the great mole rat attacks you.

No comments: