Thursday, July 17, 2008

Running Revisited

Some of you might recall a post I wrote a couple weeks ago about running.  It basically said how I think running for the sake of running is pointless.  I said that if I'm not doing something productive with that running, like playing ultimate frisbee, lacrosse, or even baseball, there is no point to it.  Well, I'm starting to come around.

I've been running more lately.  Not every day.  But a lot of days.  And, even though I am reluctant to put on my running shoes some mornings, once I put them on and am out there running, I like it.  I feel like a locomotive.  The Queen song, 'Don't Stop Me Now' comes to mind.  So I've decided running can be therapeutic.  However, I run alone.  I think I might be able to jog with a buddy, but running is different.  I try to keep an even keel, solid pace, but I think my speed varies quite a bit depending on the distance I've traveled and how close I am to the end.  So, I think anyone running with me would probably get pretty frustrated.  Jogging on the other hand really isn't exercise, but a social event, and maybe it gets your heart rate up a little bit.  Jogging is for old people, people with bad knees, or people who are morbidly obese, or guys who want to have an excuse to go somewhere with good-looking women.  I know I used to do that.  All freshman year in college.

At any rate, I recommend running to most people.  And, if you have bad knees or a bad back go on the eliptical machine at the gym, or go swimming.  

No comments: