Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Inconsiderate Bad Communicators

Most people in the world suck at communicating. Seriously. How many people do you know who always send thank you notes out soon after receiving a present? How many people always return phone calls and text messages promptly? The answer is...next to no one. And I know everyone has fabulous excuses, but shut up already. Just learn to be better at it. It's not hard. I swear. It'll take you only a couple extra minutes, and you might even gain a title like "Someone I can count on." That's not a bad deal.

On this same vein I must say that women are the worst when it comes to returning text messages or phone calls. And, I honestly don't care if they think they are trying to send a message by delaying their response or not responding at all. It's just rude. It's inconsiderate. It is much crueler in my mind for someone to shun or ignore you than to come straight to your face and bluntly say, "I'm not interested. Leave me alone." It would save everyone a lot of heart ache and wasted time if we just said what we meant, and stopped trying to be "overly polite" and therefore tactless. It is more tactful to be upfront and truthful. Beating around the bush and not calling people back is like being a middle schooler. Grow up ladies!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. It is rude, inconsiderate and even cruel. However, there are cetain exceptions to the rule. How about: my phone got flushed down the toilet, my phone service cut me off, my phone battery died, I was an emotional wreck, my dog died, my dog chewed my phone, my phone was broken when I threw it at the t.v. because I was mad that David Cook won American Idol, I fell asleep, I was vomiting, I was having an intermission. I threw my phone at the guy who was driving slowly in the fast lane. These are just a few of the many legitimate circumstances that my have befallen any given individual. If only we lived in a perfect world. During the Millennium, we will all return our calls!

Michael Powers said...

Good point. I will wait for the millennium to do anything productive.

Elyse Marie said...

Well, first I'd just like to say that bad communication takes two, not just one. If something is wrong with it, then fix it. Second of all, let it out man...let all that bitterness out.

Michael Powers said...

With bad communication it is very easy for it to be just one person's fault. If you do everything possible to communicate and never hear a word back, it's not your fault. Plain and simple. There is no way to fix the socially inept. And thank you, the bitterness is out, and there's plenty more where that came from. Better than letting it fester right?