Friday, June 6, 2008

The Good Things of Ohio

Some of you may remember, with some bitterness and dismay, the post I wrote a while back about the good state of Ohio. To understand my rationale for bludgeoning the good name of the state, I must just say my Celtics were not doing so hot in a seven game series against Cleveland. However, I foolishly did not remember all of the good people I care for and appreciate that have lived there or call Ohio home.


There are many good things to come from Ohio. One of which is a man named Ross Mangum. Ross was born in the Ohio cradle of love, not far from the garden of Eden. He was nurtured by Cyclops wet maids who rode unicorns (and his loving family, who may or may not have known about the cyclops). Ross grew up near Ohio State University, and has close ties with it. His father is a professor there, and that in turn with his proximity to the school created an unwavering devotion to the school, and consequently its football and other sports programs. He is currently studying neuroscience at Brigham Young University, and heads the BYU chapter of the Alliance of Students Against Poverty (ASAP). He is an extremely bright fellow, with a knack for soccer, and a love for Brazil, having served a two-year mission for the LDS church there. Currently he is a research assistant in Scotland, solving all the mysteries of the human genome and probably cloning lots of sheep. Ross is one good reason to like Ohio, but there are many others.

Let me list them:

Bryant Angelos
Soon to be Mary Angelos
The Bergins
Sea World
Sandusky
High Speed Tech Corridor
Jack Nicklaus
Neil Armstrong
The Wright Brothers
The Cardinal (State bird)
Columbus
Beaver Wars
Cleveland
Cinncinati
Toledo
Akron
Dayton
Automobile plants: Jeep, Honda, Ford, GM
Rubber
Steel
Wright-Patterson Airforce Base
NASA
Cornbelt
Healthcare

There are obviously many other things that I could list, but those should be good enough. The two Angelos family members and the Bergin family should be enough, but you don't necessarily know them. So take your pick (flight, steel, rubber, cars, Beaver Wars), they're all good options. I don't think anyone could still exist without Ohio's contribution to our country and lives. And by exist, I mean live in any meaningful way. Oh, and if you don't know anything about what I listed, look it up on wikipedia, because I don't have the time or patience to write it all out, and I want you to have the wonderful discovery experience I just had with Ohio.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is Ross making you kiss his Ohio-lovin butt? I thought you had integrity? Oh how the mighty have fallen!

Michael Powers said...

Well yes, but I value Ross over a diatribe.

squirrelyearl said...

Not nearly as persuaded by this one as the last one on Ohio...

Michael Powers said...

Well, it was kinda half-arsed.